Monday, May 3, 2010

The Intern Diaries - 505W37th

Let the champagne flow and hour'doeuvre's be served for TF Cornerstone's newest luxury apartment rentals located at 505 west 37th street in Manhattan's midtown west. On April 29th, the property had its V.I.P. grand opening. For those in attendance it was another day in their fabulous life of social luxury, but for this intern it was a taste of a New York City lifestyle that I cannot get enough of.

Courtesy of my internship at Quinn and Co. public relations, the agency that handles TF Cornerstone's PR, I was able to attend the event along with others on an impressive guestlist that included Mayor Bloomberg dignitaries and ballet legend, Mikhail Baryshnikov (the dancer in me had butterflies in my stomach doing tour jeté's in his presence). Aside from the who's who in real estate being there, the property itself was simply astounding. The lounge area oozed class through subtle simplicity and the art photography by Natasha Toth-Elghanayan and Najib Aschrafzai added a great conversational piece to be had over drinks and hour'doeurvre's. As the April sun began to set, the outdoor patio area literally left me gasping at the exceptional lighting and design of the space. I was with the photographer, Pablo Corradi, most of the evening taking pictures of the guests and taking business cards or names for captions. Thanks go out to Pablo, a true professional. Understanding this was my first event, he did a great job of taking the photos but also helping me make sense of what was going on, who was who and making me feel comfortable.

Being attached to Pablo's hip was an easy segue into light chatter when I was off duty and able to partake in the schmoozing. I ordered a glass of red wine and proceeded to make jokes with journalists, share stories with real estate developers, snag some business cards and have my resume forwarded to some friends of friends. Being an intern at Quinn and Co. didn't hurt either. Once I mentioned who I was interning for, people listened and reporters raved. It is a public relations firm's duty to handle their client's brand management, but also to handle their own. The power of brand recognition is evident in just my experience at this event and how receptive people were to the lone intern working the room. The fearless leader at Quinn and Co., Florence Quinn, and the head of the firm's real estate division, Suzanne Rosnowski, were also in attendance and were bonafide celebrities. They effortlessly weaved in and out of the crowd with people stopping them just to get a few words. Interning at Quinn and Co., I know I am learning from true professionals. My shoulders were raw by the end of the night because I was rubbing so hard and to top it off, I got a snazzy complimentary umbrella, a life essential for the business New Yorker.

Real estate public relations does not have a fascinating ring to it. It does not have the immediate allure of travel or entertainment public relations, but ladies and gentlemen, I have drank from the fountain of real estate glamour and I am intoxicated by it. The sounds of corks popping, the breadth of creative possibility and the personal gratification of finding that captivating story in a property adds charismatic depth to the real estate industry. In short, I can see myself doing this.

Credit and thanks needs to be given to quinnling (Quinn and Co. employees), Marisa Long, for handling such a successful event at the TF Cornerstone grand opening of 505 west 37th and for bringing the intern along for the ride.

Pictures of the event will be coming soon so stay tuned!

Make sure to check out all the people mentioned in this post.

505 West 37th Street - www.505W37.com
TF Cornerstone - www.tfcornerstone.com
Quinn and Co. - www.quinnandco.com twitter:@quinnandco
Florence Quinn - @Florencequinn
Suzanne Rosnowski - @Suz_Rosnowski
Marisa Long - @Marisalong
Freddy Melendez - @FreddyMelendez
Pablo Corradi - www.Corradifoto.com
Natasha Toth-Elghanayan - www.natashafoto.com
Najib Aschrafzai - www.najibaschrafzai.com

No comments:

Post a Comment